Guideline > Public Health > NPCB
Centrally Sponsored scheme with the goal to reduce the prevalence of blindness from 1.4% to 0.3%. As per Survey in 2001-02, prevalence of blindness is estimated to be 1.1%. Target for the 10th Plan is to reduce prevalence of blindness to 0.8% by 2007 prevalence of Blindness is 1% (2006-07 Survey).
Main causes of blindness are as follows: - Cataract (62.6%) Refractive Error (19.70%) Corneal Blindness (0.90%), Glaucoma (5.80%), Surgical Complication (1.20%) Posterior Capsular Opacification (0.90%) Posterior Segment Disorder (4.70%), Others (4.19%) Estimated National Prevalence of Childhood Blindness /Low Vision is 0.80 per thousand
The objectives of the programme are: -
- · To reduce the backlog of blindness through identification and treatment of blind;
- · To develop Eye Care facilities in every district,
- · To develop human resources for providing Eye Care Services;
- · To improve quality of service delivery;
- · To secure participation of Voluntary Organizations in eye care.
For details : Click Here